Your AR coated lenses were designed to help you see better, but there are certain steps you need to take in order to ensure that they last a long time and that you get the most benefit from them. If you want to learn about how AR helps you see better please see the first part in this series on AR called What is AR Coating and How Can It Help Me See Better.
Daily Cleaning Procedure
- Rinse your lenses under warm tap water.
- Place a drop of mild hand soap or dish soap like Dawn on each lens. Avoid soaps with creams or lotions because those will smear the lenses. Optical hand soap formulated for contact lenses wearers also works really well. We carry bottles and refills at Hicks Brunson Eyewear.
- Gently rub the soap on the lenses with your fingers on the front and back sides to clean away all the oils.
- Rinse the lenses under the warm water.
- Dry the lenses with a clean lint-free cotton towel or a microfiber lens cloth which is available at Hicks Brunson Eyewear and other optical stores. Be careful not to rub too hard and avoid using paper towels because they are wood based and may scratch the lenses.
- Spray the lenses on the front and back surfaces
- Holding the frame at the bridge gently rub both the front and back surfaces with your micro fiber cloth until the lenses are dry. You may need to move the cloth around to as it soaks up the spray to keep it from smearing.
- Avoid chemicals as these may damage the AR coating. For example never use Windex to clean your lenses.
- Do not expose your lenses to extreme heat. Leaving your glasses in your car on a hot summer day may damage the surface. It is especially risky to set them on the dash board of your car with the sun shining through the windshield. Even on a mildly warm day the temperature there is very hot and can damage the AR coating.
Hello Michele, There are many great AR coatings. The key is choosing one that has a highly rated hard scratch coat and a hydrophobic top coat. This will ensure the lenses are more slippery and easier to clean.
Wheat is the best AR coating